What is No Backpack Day?
No BackPack Day is a day that Kids in the US goes to school without their backpacks, carrying all their books and school supplies in their hands or in plastic bags so as to raise awareness for the millions of kids around the world who have to walk miles to school carrying their books and school supplies in their hands or in plastic bags because they cannot afford a backpack.
Awards and Achievements
-Mongai met with Senator Chris Coons of Delaware on May 8th, 2014 in Washington, DC. Senator Coons, who serves as Chairman of the Foreign Relations Subcommittee on African Affairs.
-On May 13th 2014, Mongai was recognized by the Mecklenburg County Board of Education.
– On May 14th, 2014, Mongai was recognized by President George H.W Bush Point of light Founder for her No BackPack day initiative.
-Mongai was honored on September 13, 2014, as “The 2014 Annie T. Doe Memorial Foundation Humanitarian Award Recipient”.
-2011 Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Mrs. Leymah Gbowee came to Charlotte on March 20th, 2015 to support and endorse Mongai.
-Mongai was featured in the 2014 June Edition of the Lake Norman Women Magazine as an amazing girl.
-September 2015, Mongai met with Dr. Joyce Banda, former President of the Republic of Malawi.
-On March 14th, 2016, Mongai received an award from 104.7FM as a kid who rocks.
– On January 27th 2017, Mongai was invited to the Woodrow Wilson Center for Global Citizenship in Washington DC by President Joyce Banda. Mongai and President Joyce Banda were part of a panel discussion to talk about the importance of advancing young girls to be global leaders.
-On March 8th 2017, Mongai and Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts were Keynote speakers at the Charlotte International Women’s day event.
-On March 31st 2017, Her Excellency Ligia Fonseca, the First Lady of the Republic of Cape Verde came to Charlotte NC to endorse and support Mongai’s No Backpack day initiative.
_ On July 3rd, 2017, Mongai joined forces with Mpumi Nobiva, Ms. Oprah Winfreys’ Mentee to help raise awareness and funds for Domestic violence and AIDS. Ms. Oprah Winfrey pledged to match up to $100.000 of all funds raised.
- On March 20th 2018, Mongai was invited to Canada by the Fearless Woman, Fearless girl Conference. She was recognized for her humanitarian work and she launched her T. Shirt line to fight bullying.
- On April 28th, 2018, Mongai welcome Mrs. Maureen Mwanawasa, the former First Lady of Zambia and former President of OAFLA to charlotte NC as a keynote speaker to her annual event.
- On June 15th 2018, Mongai travelled to Cape Verde to honor the invitation of the Frist Lady of Cape Verde. During this time she and the First lady worked on humanitarian projects and she met with President Fonseca.
- On April11th, 2019, Mongai welcome Dr. Ameenah Gurib-Fakam, the former President of Mauritius to charlotte NC as a keynote speaker to her annual event.